What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Like Olivia, I have a paper for another class to write this weekend. It only has to be in rough draft form by Wednesday morning, but I'm still feeling the pressure. I came across a Latin phrase in one of my sources: callis iudaicus, the Latin name of the Jewish quarter of medieval Barcelona.

While trying to discover the literal translation of "callis", I found something very interesting. There's a Latin version of wikipedia. You can find it here: http://la.wikipedia.org Instead of being called "wikipedia," it's called "vicipaedia." Thought that was pretty neat.

With this, I figured out that "callis" must be third declension, which I had figured from the suffix, but it's always nice to have confirmation. The best I could come up with for a translation was "foot-path" or "cow-path" or perhaps "a small road." Is there a better English translation than that of which you might know, Prof. Manolaraki?

"Iudaicus" is "jewish"? I couldn't seem to find a really clear-cut answer on that one. It's obviously not "of the Jews," since "iudaicus" doesn't seem to be a genitive form, but rather a nominative 2nd declension... perhaps even an adjective?

~Rachael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home