What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Monday, October 30, 2006

I was in Medieval Spains class this morning and we were looking at the changes in official written documents at the turn of the 13th century in Castile. Well, for no obvious reason, little bits of the summaries of these documents were in Latin. Castilianized Latin and not Classical Latin, our prof said, but still... Latin. I was so excited because while he was explaining why it was significant that the Latin had the syntax of Castilian, I was trying to read what it said. I was only partially successful in that endeavor. Some of the words were things we haven't learned yet. But I think I got this one: "anima mee et uxoris mee et filiorum et filiarum mearum." "the souls of me and of my wife and of my sons and daughters"?

~Rachael

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

you got it! any epiphanies on English cognates yet?

EM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home