What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

I was reading shakespeare today and i saw the word cur. I immediately thought it meant 'why' and after reading it several times I realized I was thinking in Latin and totally missing Shakespreares point. heh Funny how when you start to grasp a foriegn language it interrupts everyday English thinking.
I was reading King Lear for probably the third time...ugh. Only bad thing about being an Engligh major is that most of us love reading so we've already read most of the selected reading on our own when we were in elemtary school. haha
anyway see you guys tomorrow! :)

3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

WHO IS THIS?!!!!!!! YOU DRIVE ME CRAZY WHEN YOU DON'T SIGN YOUR EXCELLENT POSTS!

EM.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

"when you start to grasp a foreign language it interrupts everyday English thinking"

I agree completely, but I would see it also a little differently: when we study a foreign language, suddenly we become hyperaware of our own language as a construct, a set of commonly agreed forms and rules that are by no means 'natural' or universal or spontaneous. -EM again

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

This is Stacey Bedard. I forget to sign my posts because I'm used to blogging in my own journal which doesn't require my sig.!! AH! I'll try harder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home