What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Thursday, September 07, 2006


Great minds think alike....

Wow. I am having a late lunch before my Ovid class and logged on to scramble some thoughts about our class today, when I saw Sarah's post....I am so glad that you guys have taken to it and that you have quite clearly already established a connection amongst yourselves, online and offline. One of the highlights of each class is that split second before I get into the classroom, when I hear you all laughing and chattering about god knows what (certainly not those conjugations...? maybe a little!).

Yes, I too understand where you are all coming from. You are coming from a language that has no special word endings to mark the multifunctional ways in which words are used in sentences, so all this is makes little sense on a conceptual level. It is hard to wrap one's mind around the concept of 'Declension' of nouns, when English uses prepositions to mark things such as possession (the cat's), reception (to the cat) , and accompaniment (with the damn cat). So, I suggest we meet half way: As I promised you on the syllabus, we will shoot for a chapter per week, beginning with Ch. 6. That will give you more time to memorize words and practice at home. Simultaneously, I do expect you to do your homework neatly and as much of it as you can, and to come to class prepared to ask and be asked questions about our stuff. I am thankful that already 3-4 people have come to the office after class and asked me point blank what a verb is, what is the difference between a 'person' and a 'number', or asked me to demonstrate how the dictionary in the back of the book works. I am always available to talk before and after class, and I am hoping to see more of you at my office and to have an opportunity to talk on one-to-one. Latin is one of the hardest courses you will take in college, but I guarantee you that when you find a way to study it efficiently, it will provide you with a structure and an intellectual satisfaction that few courses can effect on our post-modern, internet-littered, i-pod buzzing, HBO-addicted brains.

A friend sent me this picture today, which runs contrary to my message--but I thought it very funny and relevant to Latin woes....see you all Monday,

Eleni








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home