What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Saturday, January 13, 2007

What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

More random thoughts here... I went for an interview the other day, and it wasnt suprizing when my interviewer looked at my schedule and said, "they still teach Latin these days?"
I guess I was over the "you take Latin?!?!?" exclamation that people made when I told them about the class. It almost seems that since Latin is a dead language, it is not expected to be taught anymore. With, all the other more contemporary languages around, I am always asked why bother with Latin. Funny thing is, I always give the same answer- "because I like it, and it is more useful than I ever imagined- translating old texts, finding out about the latin roots in English, Spanish, Italian..."
This anwer usually is enough, but for others, I guess they have to experience the class, and the language for themselves to see what I am talking about.

Amo Latin!
-- Jeremy Y --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home