What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Thursday, January 11, 2007

What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

This semester I'm going to try and keep up with these blogs...if I can remember the UserID and password....sadly i can remember quite a few Latin words but not a simple password. But there you have it. I'm so glad that this class has restarted again, though I have to tell you that I rarely studied over break. The best I did was mentally review the noun endings and verb endings and go over a couple of things in a workbork Prof. E lent me.
But I saw that Rachel had posted something about the Rome series on HBO....well one of my friends had got the first season on DVD for Christmas and I managed to wrangle him to promise that he wouldn't watch any of it till I was there with him. He knows I'm a Classics major and all and knows it's fun to me. So we've been sporadically watching it for a bit and it's really good. Except for the fact that I can't keep all the chicks straight and have to ask him who's related to who and all; and I can't quite understand everyone so I put subtitles up when he's not looking (which is actually very normal of me! :) Sad thing is that he doesn't notice the subtitles until 10/15 minutes later! But I like the series and I wondered, did the director and writer people keep it as accurate as possible? Me and my friend figure a little artistic license but I wondered how much?
But random-ness. As I was writing this blog a friend messaged me asking how school was today and I was like "It was good except for the fact I was tired" Then I thought about and tried to apply what we learned and typed "fessi ebam" I was tired. Was that right? Good luck all with the Past tenses!
-Stacy Snelling

2 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

Stacey-

Fessa eram---even though, right now, 'fessi sumus' is more appropriate!

HBO's Rome is actually impressively close to historical facts, both the 'large' ones (battle techniques, events) and the quotidian ones (e.g. alla clothes worn on the show are dyed with plant juices, just as was the case back then). What can I say, I love the show but I am too cheap to get HBO---I will have to wait for the DVDs to come out and until then I have the first season to keep me company...

I am actually very satisfied with what people are doing in the class. Y' all remember much more than I thought, and more than you think. Give yourselves time this long weekend to review the old stuff and start getting used to the new stuff. And, as always, put any questions whatsoever on the blog.

Ok, 6.18 am here--gotta go milk those goats. Later,

EM

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are big things that the writers, et cetera have gotten wrong. They've chosen to ignore or change certain aspects of some historical personalities' lives in order to create a really good show. I used to care more about that than I do now, 'cause honestly, the show wouldn't be nearly so much fun had they left it as the history books tell us it was. The only thing that bugs me now are the little inaccuracies that make me say "Was that really necessary? Couldn't they have bothered to change that line/leave that prop out to make it more accurate?" every now and then. I'm sure I'm probably one of the very few people on the planet who notices and/or is bothered by these things. I won't mention what they are because they are pretty minor on the whole and I know how sometimes it's just better to live in ignorant bliss. I only notice or find out because I'm obsessed with researching anachronisms. Maybe I should be a historical consultant for TV and movies when I grow up...

Anyway, Rome's second season premiered Sunday night. I was glued to the couch in front of the TV for the whole hour in total shock. I actually had to watch it twice just to make sure I'd seen what I thought I saw the first time. I just *love* this show!

P.S. - You have dairy goats, Prof. M? Really?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home