What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Was just taking a look at the historian's blog at the HBO's "Rome" website. He had some profound things to say about studying Latin. He talks about the first time he understood a line from Virgil's "Aeneid" in the original Latin without translating it, even in his head, and how special that realization was for him. I still look forward to my "first time" of totally understanding a piece of Latin poetry (or even something from our class textbook) without having to think twice about it. It is becoming more and more intuitive all the time though, so I have high hopes of getting there with time, effort and practice that I am most willing to give. But sometimes, I have to make myself go with the flow and not question it in the moment. When I question myself, I have a tendency to over-think and get things wrong. Did that on a few quizzes last semester...

~Rachael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home