What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006


Hang in there!

There is a Greek proverb that goes 'he ate the whole lamb, but couldn't finish the brain', which is the equivalent of the English 'hitting a wall', the 'last stretch' etc. (And yes, the Greeks eat lamb brains--fyi, they are delicious!). I guess my point is that you all have done very well, and I have to trust that everyone has done 100% of what they could have done for this class. If you are conscious of *not* having done so, that is between you and the gods, but I will certainly not criticize or evaluate anyone on what they *could* have done. As far as I am concerned, you are all fabulous each in your own way, with your strengths and weaknesses. So, keep it together, keep it down, and keep it real for the next 3 weeks or so. The last three chapters are coasting really, nothing earth-shattering like the neuter or the Dative--(sigh...why can't we do more of that stuff now...). Remember to come to the office, blog, or e-mail with any concerns or questions you have as you begin to review for the final.EM

4 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger RaeS said...

This reminds me of something that Toula says in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" while describing her family's annual Christmas celebration... Thanks to imdb.com, I can actually quote it:

"So, what happens is my dad and uncles, they fight over who gets to eat the lamb brain. And then my aunt Voula forks the eyeball and chases me around with it, trying to get me to eat it, 'cause it's gonna make me smart."

I don't know if you've seen it, but I really love that movie...

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael, I thought the same thing! I love that movie though and feel like I could quote it every day.

Professor M, thanks for the reassuring words. It definitely makes me feel better after yesterday.

Olivia

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

Hey girls-

That movie is SO embarassing, because everything in there is SO true! The father, the submissive yet clever mom, the xenophobia, the brother who tries to prove himself to his dad, the Greek aversion to the politeness of the American middle class, the whole thing! I laugh so much when I talk about it with Greeks, but when others talk about it it's like someone looking at my dirty laundry! And yes, Olivia, every word I said is true, I believe that all of you have done your best, and it is ok if not everyone adores Latin or is an A student. And I assure you that no Latin teacher ever thinks that this is possible!

EM

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

LOL!! hahahaha... that is so funny- I gotta watch that movie... oh, and Ms.E I know exactly how that feels! It is a little embarassing when a certain stereotype is true about a cuture! quite funny, though! lol...
Jeremy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home