What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Sunday, September 17, 2006

I have a question on conjugating he/she is present. The book gives us "adest" to mean he/she is present, and according to the vocabulary in the back, the infinitive is "adesse." The translation on page 25 uses "adsunt," which means they are present. What type of conjugation is this verb? With adsunt, it looks like it would be a third conjugation, but with adest, it looks like it could be a second conjugation but it doesn't have the accented 'e' in the infinitive. Anyone want to enlighten me, because I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks!

Olivia Hattan

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

Excellent Question Olivia!

The verb "Adesse" does not belong to any conjugation! It marches on its own tune so to speak. There are about 7 verbs like "adesse" that do their own thing! We call them IRREGULAR VERBS. I will point them out to you as we go.

EM

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

I had the same question. I'm scared for Tuesday. _stacey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home