What Has Latin Done for Me Lately?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Has anyone who is new to the awesome teaching style of Prof. M. (and I'm not saying that to earn brownie points, you are awesome and I think most would agree with me) blogged here yet? I don't think I've seen any new names, not that I don't enjoy reading all the posts because someone usually posts the same question I have. :)

I have a random question from chapter 17. In the passage on page 9, line 11 reads "ad pugnam eum vocavit" which translates to "He called him to fight." With ad pugnam, does that literally mean "to the fight?" If not, could you use the verb infinitive pugnare in the place of ad pugnam? Does that make sense? I guess I'm just curious.

Otherwise, I think I'm getting the hang of the perfect and imperfect after a few instances of wanting to throw in the towel this week. Mia and I are planning on studying Sunday evening around 7 in the library if anyone wants to join. We will be perfect at the perfect... haha, no, lame joke. See you all tomorrow!

Olivia Hattan

1 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Ex Pluribus Unum said...

Olivia-

Ok, now I am seriously blushing! (but at least I am not crying); actually your translation is the correct one 'he called him to (the) fight' as in 'he invited him to a duel'. To say 'he called him TO fight' would imply an infinitive in the Latin, just as you said: vocavit eum pugnare.

Ah, it's good to know that you guys can appreciate a good noun and tell it from an equally tasty infinitives...it's like the connoseurship of wine, only more satisfying...

And keep up the study groups---I will say it time and again, this is an excellent idea.

E.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home